Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who is Marcia Todd?

Name: Marcia.  Pronounced "Marsha", however many people innocently say "Mar-see-ah" when reading my name.  And if I had a dollar for every time I've heard "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"...(thanks mom)

Age:   33 & proud of it.  It just sounds sophisticated doesn't it?

College:  Horry-Georgetown Technical College.

College Major:  Received my Associates Degree in Public Service Technology (which is a fancy way of saying Paralegal)

Occupation:  Well, I could be a smarty-pants and start randomly listing my everyday activities (i.e. wife, mother, taxi driver, chef, etc), but I guess I'll be politically correct.  I'm an Administrative Assistant to a Family Court Judge & Photographer (in no particular order)

Hometown: Conway, SC

Quick, interesting facts about Marcia:
  • I was a Junior Varsity cheerleader my sophomore year in high school
  • I sang (notice the past tense).  In weddings, church solos, our family gatherings. 
  • I'm a twin & wouldn't know how to function without my sister (even though we have 4 hours between us).
  • I eat some form of chocolate everyday
  • I do not rest well unless I take a bath before getting into bed (no matter what hour)
  • I love watching the TLC channel (except for the cop shows, those don't really interest me) 
  • I have two AMAZING kids.  They are the most precious blessings & I thank God for them each and every day.
  • I could not imagine myself with any other man than Robert.  He is truly my soulmate and put on this earth just for me.
  • (singing) I am a C.  I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N and very proud of it!

Chick-fil-A combo: Grilled chicken sandwich with cheese & Sweet Tea
Brand of Ridiculously Expensive Blue Jeans: Big Star & Rock Revival.
Boutique Cupcake Flavor: Pumpkin!
Chick Flick:  Pretty Woman
Preferred Form of Accoutrements: Scarves. No, boots. Wait, are boots accessories? Headbands with flowers or feathers.  Earrings.  Starting to love broaches too.

Favorite Subject to Photograph:   Children (all ages) & Couples.  I love photographing seniors, but I don’t get that many opportunities to do so, Not yet anyway.

Where your business is now: My business is in the growing process, but definitely booming. I feel it has a way to go to reach where I desire.

Where its going or want it to be: I feel my business is moving forward.  I’m getting more visible due to Facebook and clients sharing my work with their friends and family which is bringing in more inquiries, etc.  I want to be more visible in my community and in the areas around my community.  I want to have my work displayed in businesses and to be able to use my gifts to help organizations such as abused children.

Your biggest challenge right now: Finding time for my family & marketing that draws in the clients that desire Art and something different than the everyday photographer…Setting myself apart from everyone else and creating unique images that people appreciate.

A recent good thing that happened to you: I went to bed at 8:45pm this week!

If you could voice your opinion to other photographers out there, what would it be? 
There's a few things --
(1) If you don't know what you're doing, PLEASE don't act like you do. 
(2) If you like my ideas, great.  Don't be a copy cat without acknowledging you're a copy cat.
(3) Make your session fee worth your time!  It MAY be the only fee you receive from that person (you're not guaranteed an order)  Do I really need to remind you of how many hours you put into 1 session (not including the shoot itself)?  If you pay your babysitter more than you pay yourself, something's wrong!

What's in the bag? 

I’m just going to share what I have and what I like about it.
Camera body: Nikon D700 –the high ISO is killer, and it’s FULL FRAME!  This was key when I was deciding which camera to upgrade to.
Favorite lens: 70-200mm 2.8 – Great zoom, zoom, zoom! This lens is perfect for a low light ceremony where you have to stay near the back or in the balcony. I also use this lens for children and families.  It's really the only form of exercise I get these days.
Other lenses in the bag: Nikon 50mm 1.8 – What’s not to love about this lens? This and a camera that has high ISO capabilities means you can shoot in some pretty dark churches and receptions without the need for a flash.
Flash: Nikon SB600 Speedlight – I’d love to take a masterclass workshop on my flash so that I could rock out some super dramatic lighting techniques like some of my friends, but this flash does all I need it to and I rarely use it.
Bag: Crumpler Bag – It’s a camera bag, but I use it as a lens bag. That’s what I need! It holds my 50mm and zoom lens.  My flash, some other lenses, extra camera battery, iPhone, AA batteries for my flash and CF cards are in my LowePro bag.



Where do you do all your editing?   See for yourself...

This pic above was before my crafty husband installed a rod that hangs right underneath the cubbies so that all my ribbons are at my fingertips. 





3 comments:

  1. That is why I LOVE BLOGS!! You get to know things about people you would not ever ask them! It a place to find comfort with people that you do not even know..(but feel like you know,even though I know you!) when you feel like life is crazy and most people fake it!!!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this and love ALL you said about session fees AND clients appreciating/looking for art and not just the everyday photo/5x7. I also feel like we need to get together, talk shop AND have some sweet tea and pumpkin cupcakes--A FAVORITE OF MINE FOR SURE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's sweet you like to photograph seniors ...

    I think you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers